Halloween Candy Napkin Rings

I made the first batch of these napkins rings back in July for work. I can imagine wearing them as bracelets (I've seen them made that way for Easter) or as a necklace- especially made from the smaller jelly beans but this is the week before Halloween so we're getting in the mood and using them as napkins rings.

Here's what you need:

Embroidery needle (s)
8" of .5mm Stretch Magic cord (You’ll need extra length to tie a knot).

Jelly Beans
 

Peach rings or Gummy candies –and sadly no, I couldn’t get candy corn to work (it just kept splitting).
 
Cut and thread a needle onto the Stretch Magic cord.
 

Thread the soft candies onto the cord.
Jelly beans are much harder to thread on; we developed a system for adding them:
 

Rest the candy on a cork surface (IKEA trivet or a cork coaster or magazine)
 

Use a thimble to push the needle through the candy.


Pull the needle out the other side of the jelly bean.
You‘ll need to clean the candy goo off the needle every couple of candies when it gets sticky.
 

If you have an extra needle, you can switch it out and then go clean both sticky needles at the same time- saving trips to the sink. Just wash them with warm water and then DRY the needles! 
  
I tried several releases so the needle wouldn’t get sticky–vegetable oil, Vaseline- even tried drilling a hole with a tiny drill bit and still, washing and drying the needle seems to be the best system. 

Triple tie a knot and make a loop over knot, and then trim the excess off.
I think you could make these for Christmas or Valentines or the 4th of July?




2 comments :

  1. Ok - I know - I am behind on blog reading! But i could not possibly think of not writing you a note to tell you that this is absolutely brilliant!!! Adorable! Cute as all get-out! AND I love the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I'm behind on everything including blog replying!
      I think it could work for Christmas too...but FYI gummy candies work so much better than jelly beans--in case you're inspired. I learned that after this project was done.

      Delete